Stories only your heart knows (Part-1) : One Sided Friendships

This was the corner where would usually sit after our class and used to observe her. 


I thought I will not get the time to see my batchmates as I was already late for my first writing class by 15 minutes but somehow my eyes fell on her. 
I slammed the glass door and entered in a hurry. 
"G..Good morning ma'am...S..S...Sorry I am late." I greeted the teacher.
"Please settle down.." she responded after pausing the presentation on the smart board. 

We had our first eye contact while I took a sit and she looked away immediately.
Oversized glasses with big crochet white danglers in the color white. She was scribbling something in her notebook with full focus. I calmed myself and tried my best not to make it awkward for her. That was not the right time to stalk someone.

The class had a list of strict norms where none of us were allowed to stay connected to each other on social media or any other medium. So, by the end of that class, I got to know her name, age, and the degree she was pursuing in the common introductory session we all had. 

She turned out to be younger. 
The class ended, and we packed our bags and left. She was the last one to leave the classroom.

While I waited to get some documentation work done, she passed by. The flowy fabric of the pink chikankaari kurta and a pair of skinny blue denim jeans she was wearing, complimented her personality well. "The Kite Runner" I read the title of the book she was holding. 

A few days passed, and I got to know more about her. 
She was an English Literature student from one of the renowned universities of our state. 
She was a well-read person in our batch and a good writer too.
She was beautiful and would always look elegant in any kind of outfit.
She would come to the class before anyone else. 
She wouldn't talk much. Just with a few people.

Unlike me, she was bold, fierce, and confident. I already started to admire her and started looking for a chance where could interact with her to be friends with her. I made a few friends there and those were already friends with her. She would talk to them but never really talked to me. Or maybe we didn't have anything to talk about. We had sat next to each other a few times during our classes but never exchanged a word. 

I was dying to talk to her to be friends with her but couldn't muster up enough courage to interact with her. We would have interactive sessions in the class where the teacher would assign us tasks that were supposed to be done in groups. I used to wait for the coincidence of being in the same group, to happen. But nothing of that sort ever really took place. 

I wanted her to be in my life as a friend. She had a good taste in artistic things like crochet, bookmarks, reading, and writing which attracted and inspired me as well. But I could never really approach her. Neither did she. 
What if I left a bad impression on her for being late to the very first class?
What if she finds me less intelligent?
What if she had sensed how desperate I was?

Three months passed and our classes came to an end. 
I couldn't make her my friend. 
I hesitated a lot till the end. 

I bid my last goodbyes to everyone in the class except for her. 
She left earlier after the last class.
The urge for friendship disappeared just like her. 



Comments

Popular Posts