Things to Remember before starting a Blog


DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional blogger or any teacher who would preach about how one should maintain a blog. These are just the tips which I gained through my experience of blogging. I hope you will find them helpful.







I started blogging in the year 2015 when I was pursuing bachelors. No plan or strategy was involved but my friends and teachers were the real inspiration. I just wanted to acquire the tag ‘Blogger’. I made countless mistakes (even the blunder ones) but now I’m happy that I learned something out of it.
It took me three years to understand how I should be blogging in accordance with the ideas I had in my mind. Now the entire journey seems quite interesting to me and I thought of sharing some points which one should remember before starting their own blog.


Research as much as you can 
This is the one mistake I regret about till date. When I started blogging, I used to write content on my own without any doing any research work due to which I somewhere lacked to deliver effective content.
So if you’re planning to start a blog, make ‘research’ a priority (especially for technical content such as scientific, business etc.).  The more you consume more you will be able to understand things. And when I say consume, it doesn’t mean you should waste half a day in exploring. Make a schedule and prefer smart work instead. Figure out what is necessary for the content you want to deliver. Research work always looks easy but it’s a game of patience and smart planning. It might seem tedious in the beginning but as you proceed it becomes easier.







Plan and Contemplate
The second most important thing is planning. Believe me; you have to stick to this point if you literally want to become a blogger. Make plans for every single step you would be taking towards your dream of blogging. No matter which medium you choose, it’s always good to follow a plan.

I personally prefer carrying a notebook and a pen with myself because I suck at choosing a digital medium to record my content related ideas.

Once you’re done making a plan, re-plan it. I tell you why.
When you make a plan for the first time, your mind would fill with a mixture of fresh ideas and the content you’ve consumed (during research). The stage of re-planning helps you refine this blend and this is how you will be able to make the best plan out of many.


Be Clear and Consistent
Always select the genre you have expertise in. For instance, homemakers would be more interested to read your blogs more than kids if you are an interior stylist. Not all the homemakers would be interested in the fancy decor stuff you buy for any styling project but they might want to know about some cooking tips as well.
Also, if you want your content to have a mass reach then think twice before finalizing your decision of becoming a blogger because you will have to be consistent enough to gather a larger number of eyes. I suggest you maintain that consistency from the very beginning (don’t skip researching and planning) for a clearer decision and vision. Plan the frequency of delivering content and also decide whether you would be able to maintain the continuity.


Know your Audience
The genre of your content and the size of the targeted audience are two inter-dependent factors. Your audience is everything and they should be treated in a good manner so that they don’t get a chance to overlook your content. Always remember that your blog is gonna appear to every user who wants to see it but not restricted to the targeted group. Hence it’s better to do a little bit of analysis of the audience you would cater on the basis of age group, gender and the area of interest.



Don’t wait for Resources
Once you’re done with the research thing, don’t delay its' execution. I met a lot of people who dream a lot but keep making excuses about lack of resources.
Okay, I understand. There could be a necessity for genuine resources.
But if you’re reading this blog, then you must have at least a smartphone. To start a blog you just need to have an internet connection (which I know you recharge before the expiry of the previous pack) and a smartphone.
That’s all. Don’t just wait for high-end desktops/laptops, tablets or any other gadget to attack your reader’s mind. Your blog is gonna look the same way it would look with those expensive and fancy mediums.



Patience is the Real Key

Patience is the most important thing which one should know about anyway (not as a blogger only). If you’re a content creator on any sort of digital platform or want to become the one then you have to work patiently. Every step taken is gonna reflect on the outcomes and you don’t get what you desire easily. Calmness is equally important. So, be diligent and wait for the little surprises to come to your way at the right time. 

Comments

Popular Posts