SELF POTRAITS (PART1): ACCEPTANCE

I have always been forced to believe that society sees you as a suitable fit by how you carry yourself. Traditional Indian clothing is often considered more elegant and respectful than western clothing. Similarly, more makeup is taken as a sign of artificialness or ingenuity.

 

Having grown up being fond of kohl-rimmed eyes with western clothes, is my signature look. But I love to wear traditional clothes as much as I love other outfits. Most of the people I know, keep telling me that my eye makeup makes me look less presentable and I should go subtle with it.

There were days when I gave on wearing my signature look to make sure that it doesn’t look daunting to people. But it would just make me sad. 

It took me a long time to believe that I am simply not a people pleaser!

I told myself that be it my makeup or my outfit, I carry each look for myself and I should do what I feel.


These self-portraits are a dedication to my journey of accepting my looks effortlessly and not letting people affect my intentions of carrying a certain look. Each picture that I took is a presentation of my emotions while dressing up. I kept the pictures in the black and white filter to portray the idea better. 


Thick strokes of kohl make me feel more expressive and at times, I love to incorporate Indian clothing or accessories into my outfits. Sometimes, I prefer wearing no makeup at all and going subtle with my outfits too but that is completely my choice.


Fashion in general is subjective, different things work for different people. As long as you are comfortable and confident, there is nothing to be ashamed of.  You are not born to impress others with your looks. And it should independently be your decision of breaking the monotony of how you want to look instead of letting people decide for you.



Comments

Popular Posts