Book Annotation: First Person Singular by Haruki Murakami

There was a time in my life when I was obsessed with Murakami's books. I used to convince myself not to criticize his writing if I didn't like the story. This was also because Murakami is one of the authors with whom I started my reading journey. But then I explored other authors and eventually, I started giving reasonable importance to his books. 

'Men without Women' was the last book that I read almost two years back and I got quite disappointed with it. By the time 'First Person Singular' launched, my obsession faded away. 

Buying this book after a few years of its launch, was an impulsive decision I made on my first visit to Faqir-Chand Bookstore because I didn't want to come back home with empty hands from this historically beautiful place. 

This book is a compilation of eight interesting short stories which justify the title beautifully. Most of the stories were so interesting that I couldn't get out of them even after moving to another one. I loved how he surprises the readers with his unpredictable plots and climax in the finest form. A couple of them were not so good or that might be just me having zero interest in sports and western classical music but still, there is a learning from each story of this book.

Revisiting Murakami's world was a great experience.

Comments

Popular Posts