They say I look Older in Pictures

Got captured by my younger sibling while hanging out with my family. 

‘Growing old’ is one phenomenon we all love to be a part of until it starts showing on our body.
I have grown up listening to this which I feel is enough to shake the foundation of your dignity if you too belong to a family which has people with conservative minds.

Before enclosing the motive behind this blog, I would like to introduce you guys to my appearance in case you never met me personally.

I’m a 22-year-old girl with a height of 4”11 feet and not to forget I’m really skinny.

Too much information to judge!

I was in 6th grade when I encountered body shaming for the very first time. I was one of those kids who look malnourished among their fellows and gets bullied. They used to call me with certain names and gestures which would annoy me at times.

I love how most of my stories start directly from my school days. Isn’t it the best way to describe the significant change took place in your life?

Imagine cribbing about your own appearance in front of a mirror!

Yes, I used to do it a lot. I was so disturbed about what people used to recognize me with. I would cry and curse myself for being short and skinny. Teen years were really rough for me as started facing body shaming.

I would skip family reunions and other functions just because of the fear of being judged. Whenever my parents ask me to go out to meet relatives or friends, I would make excuses that I have exams or homework to finish.

But the trick didn't always work. Consequently, I had to attend a couple weddings of my close relatives. Irrespective to the number of people I met there, each one of them had complained to my mother about my personality. I remember once I met this lady (one of my aunts I guess) at one of those functions. She had literally suggested my mother consult the person (she was in contact with) and start medication for my growth after she found that my appearance doesn’t sync my age. I was too young to remember what happened next but as far as I know, I never consulted any doctor for such stuff neither does my mom.

Shouldn't you be telling a kid to focus on their study and bless them?

The whole scenario turned out to be worse when I entered college. Before stepping out of my house, I would make sure that I dress up like a big girl (a wrong word though) or carry something that gives an illusion of elongated legs with a structured body. Although, I never really faced bullying at college. But I used to make a lot of efforts to look longer because I was trapped in body shaming.

A part of me always wanted to get out of the trap but I’m yet to figure out what took me so long.

Nothing big or significant happened to bring the change. It was all gradual. But yes I remember two things which I feel could be the reasons behind the change took place.

First, I would indulge myself in the study and work more as soon as I left college.
The second one is followed up by the first one which is that I didn't get much time to entertain or react to what people say about me.

But people do comment on how I look when I don’t even ask for.

“But you look fine in your pictures…like a 22 years old girl I meant.”

I’m glad that you like my pictures. Kindly, go through the captions I post along with them so that you can get an idea of the work I do (promotions come first since I don’t have any PR). 

“You look like a kid. Why don’t you wear ethnic clothes? You look better and older in them”

Thanks for telling me that ethnic pieces look good on me but I can’t wear them every day as I’m taking advantage of my appearance. Also, don’t forget to take an appointment to meet me once I turn 30!

Believe me or not, I get to hear this every time I met people who first see my pictures and then fix a meeting. But I don’t really care much.

Whatever you want to change is always in your head. You don’t always need an opportunity to bring it in action.

Now I do attend family functions and meet my friends fearlessly. The only effort I make before leaving my home is to wear confidence and a smile on my face. I’m happy and blessed that I got a life with the beautiful body of a human. The only thing that I’m concerned about is my lifestyle (especially my eating habits) which I’m trying really hard to improve so that I can gain a few kilograms (yes I’m underweight).

I'm a picky eater. Your suggestions would be more than a blessing to change this habit.
Not really begging! You can judge me again.

Skinny, tall, short, curvy, petite… everybody is beautiful.
Never let your looks underestimate your soul. There are no such parameters set by God under which your age and appearance should justify each other. 

Comments

Popular Posts